Monday, September 17, 2012

The Staples

As a writer with deadlines and limited time, there are three things in my kitchen I cannot live without. Those three things are: 1. My Crock Pot 2. Condensed Mushroom Soup (which is funny because I hate mushrooms and 3. Packets of Onion Soup Mix (also funny because I hate onions.)

Unfortunately, I don't have as much time to cook as I would like. So I need something fast that's going to be delicious enough even my picky five-year-old will eat. Take these three items, mix in a can of water, add a meat of your choice, and you have a delicious dinner everyone in the family will love.

Combine the above with a roast, carrots, and red potatoes, and in eight hours you'll have a drool-worthy pot roast your family will swear you slaved over. And the same ingredients to cubed steak and you have a delicious melt in your mouth Salisbury steak. You can also add the same ingredients to chicken and pork chops. Your options are limitless. And if you throw in a disposable crock pot liner, your clean up will take no longer than five minutes.

These ingredient have saved my hide so many times when I've found myself looking inside my fridge and wondering just what on earth I'm going to make for dinner.

Likewise, I have go to staples when it comes to writing. For example, if I'm staring at a finished manuscript and wondering just how I'm going to start editing, there are three books on my bookshelf that I frequently reread and no writer to should live without. They are:

1. The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman
This is such an amazing book. I fully credit it for helping me get my novel in good enough shape to attract an agent. Not only is it a great read for any first time author looking for tips on how to edit their finished manuscript, but it's a great refresher for published authors as well.








2. Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Mass
Another amazing novel for beginners as well as writing veterans. What I like about this book in particular, is that it focuses more on technique and the actual wring process. Every writer should have this on their book shelf.









3. On Writing by Stephen King
It doesn't matter if you like Stephen King's novels or not, this book is wealth of information on technique. Even published authors will find Stephen's tips and advice valuable.








So there you have it. Those are my must haves for the kitchen and the office. How about you? What are your food and writing staples?

1 comment:

  1. The First Five Pages is a tremendous book. Every writer should read it. I'm going to have to take a look at the other two. Thanks for a helpful post!

    ReplyDelete