Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Overextended


I think we've all been there. We've volunteered, signed up, committed ourselves over our actual time and abilities. I have to finally admit I've done it this year. I'm self-publishing, in effect starting up my own business, president of the preschool parent's organization, who are hoping for a large silent auction in the spring along with the other fundraisers we organize every month, and I've volunteered for coordinating my regional SCBWI conference. Oh, and I put in a proposal for a workshop too.  Whew. That made me tired just to type it all!

I want very much to do all of these things and to do them well. I don't want to give up any of them. But I'm realizing I've seriously over committed myself.  I still have a preschooler home half the day, dance class, gym class and piano lessons to take both of my kids to.  I'm so doomed!

Oh, and you know, I'm a writer so I'd like to write the next book in the series... sooo, how to do it all?  If you know please share it with me.  I'll tweet your name to the rooftops!

So here is a little recipe that I think everyone should know.  Short and sweet.  And can be added to ANYTHING to make it taste great.  Soup, cheese and crackers, hamburgers, vegetables, grains, rice. 

Seriously, you name it, if you add this to it, the taste will be awesome.  Well, if you like caramelized onions that is.  If you don't care for them, this is not the recipe for you.  If you love how they taste, all sweet and buttery and melt-in-your-mouthy, here ya go. They are well worth the time!

Caramelized Onion

  •      Lots of sliced onion.  Thinly sliced.  As many onions as your pan can hold. Trust me.
  •      2-3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil or combo of the two
  •      pinch of salt
  •      for extra sweetness add up to 1/4 cup brown sugar... but depending on your onion and how long you cook them you may not need it.


In a large frying pan melt your butter and oil. Add the sliced onions.  Cook them over medium heat, but don't let them brown quickly.  This type of browning takes time. Slowly cook and occasionally stir the onions until they become soft and golden brown. This can take from 40-60 minutes.  Take your time. 

Add more oil or butter to keep them from sticking.  Taste them and adjust the salt, or if you want them really sweet add brown sugar to taste.  

The caramelized onion keeps in the fridge for a week, but I doubt you'll be able to keep it that long.  Try it in eggs in the morning, on a sandwich in the afternoon and in your veggies at dinner... super yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment