Thursday, June 28, 2012

Simple and Sweet; Lemon Cake


At a family get together my cousin brought a cake. When we dished it up, we thought it was just a regular yellow sheet cake, but the first bite revealed we were wrong. It was lemon with homemade cream cheese icing and very delicious.



She whispered to me I’d never guess how easy it was to make it. After she told me I thought how this recipe could go along with what I’m experiencing with my revision. The base of the dish is lemon cake, nothing out of the ordinary. The frosting made from scratch adds a refreshing twist from the store bought can or in the literary world, cliché. In writing the base of the plot could be basic, but add your own new “flavor”, tone, or voice to the story and you have something that will stand out and be remembered.   



Yes, I know this post is short and sweet (see cliché), but its summer and we need to be outside moving around instead of looking at the computer screen all day. Well, I think I’d be fine doing such a thing but since I just said this to my kids, I’d better set the example. Enjoy your summer everyone!



Lemon Cake

  • 1 box of lemon cake mix
  • 1 small can of lemon pie filling
  • 4 eggs



     Combine ingredients together and mix in large bowl. Bake as directed on cake mix box. Cool completely before frosting.





Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • ¼ c butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon extract (optional. I add this if icing for lemon cake)
  • 4 to 4 ½ c powder sugar. (about 1lb)



     Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and lemon extract in bowl on medium speed. Add sugar gradually, beat until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.







1 comment: