Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pastries and an Interview with Author Laura Pauling


Today I'd like to introduce Laura Pauling, author of A Spy Like Me. Laura can you tell us a bit about your story and how food can play such a big role in a spy novel?

Thanks for having me. A Spy Like Me is fast-paced spy romp through Paris, France.

As far as food goes, well, the story is in Paris and this city is famous for more than just French fries. I hear you have not really tasted a croissant or tart until you’ve had one from a bakery in Paris.

So, of course, Savvy loves these treats especially as a way to ignore the stuff going on in her life like a missing mom and busy dad...and people shooting at her.

Here's a bit about the book:

Stripping your date down to his underwear has never been so dangerous.
 Seventeen-year-old Savvy Bent expects magic on her first date with Malcolm - in Paris! Except over a picnic of sparkling cider and strawberry tarts, a sniper shoots at them. That’s only the beginning. From the top of the Eiffel Tower to the depths of the catacombs, Savvy must sneak, deceive, and spy to save her family and friends and figure out whether Malcolm is one of the bad guys before she completely falls for him. Or he tries to snuff her out.

Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords



If you were marooned on an island, and Pots & Pens granted your wish for only one book and one food, what would you choose?

These kinds of questions are so tough. I’d have to say The Count of Monte Cristo because not only do I love stories of revenge, but it’s long. And I’d take an endless supply of different kinds of pizza, and maybe some chocolate chip cookies too.

If you were serving one of your characters his or her ideal meal, what would it be and why?

Easy. Instant burnt macaroni and cheese her dad makes because it’s prime bonding time for them. Okay, and a latte on the side. Her dad is busy getting his business, Spy Games, off the ground so he doesn’t have a lot of time.

Let’s say Savvy is raiding your fridge right now, what is she most likely to eat? 

Savvy would definitely be excited about the left over Belgian waffles with fresh fruit we had for dinner!

What is your A+, number 1 writing/editing snack?

I try not to snack when I work. If I’m starving I’ll snag a granola bar. I know. Totally lame.
   
Tell about a time when food inspired your writing or a book inspired your cooking.

It’s not usually food that inspires my writing or vice versa. My love for adventure and learning inspires me the most but that could cross over to food in that when I have time I like to try new recipes. But I’ll never say never.

Thanks Laura for being with us. I would recommend Savvy's story to anyone who likes their spy mysteries with a croissant and a latte on the side! 



Laura Pauling writes about spies, murder and mystery. A Spy Like Me, her YA debut novel released in April 2012. Her short story, The Almost Assassin, a prequel to A Spy Like Me is free on Smashwords and 99 cents on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.








Here is Laura's recipe for A Savvy Strawberry Tart
photo by aMichiganMom

Ingredients:
1 - 3 oz. package cream cheese, softened
5 tsp sugar
1/4 C light whipping cream, whipped
2 C thinly sliced fresh strawberries (keep some separate to decorate the top)
1 graham cracker pie crust shell

Directions:

1. Beat cream cheese until fluffy.
2. Beat in sugar.
3. Fold in whipped cream.
4. Fold in strawberries.
5. Spoon into pie shell, decorate top with strawberries, and refrigerate until serving.



4 comments:

  1. Oooooh, all this food talk makes me want to read this book even more. What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for having me today! I bought the ingredients for my Savvy Strawberry Tart! I think I'm going to have to do a little more of this theme based recipes based on my story! Okay, just one more thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview--and now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd love to see the recipes you come up with Laura! :)YUM.

    ReplyDelete