Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pot Luck- Kielbasa and Sauerkraut




Okay, so for some this dish may not excite. But I LOVE sauerkraut. I also love Kimchi and any cabbage product for that matter, and hey, it's really, really good for you, but that's for another post.

Today I'm sharing a dish I make for potluck dinners like the one I'm attending on Friday.

It's kid friendly, believe it or not, because it involves some syrup.

It's cook-friendly because you just need to use a knife and a crock pot and a few hours.


Ingredients:

2 links of Hillshire Farm Kielbasa (turkey/pork)

1 bag of silver floss sauerkraut, please, for all that is holy about sauerkraut, don't used canned. The thing that makes sauerkraut really good for you is best in the fresh bag in the produce section

1 bottle pancake syrup or if you're daring maple syrup



Get out the crock-pot. Empty the bag of sauerkraut into the bottom, include the juice. If you want a nice hit of antioxidants take a sip. *pucker*

Cut up the Kielbasa in 1-2 inch slices.  Add to the crock pot.

Now add the syrup. I usually use about half of a 12 oz. bottle of pancake syrup.  I've tried this with maple syrup but I can't bring myself to dump that much maple syrup into the pot,  pancake syrup works fine. Just don't use the butter-flavored kind. ew.  This is to taste and you can always add more syrup at the end of cooking.

Now place the crock-pot on low for 3 hours. This blends the flavors together and makes for a really yummy dish.  My crock-pot is always empty afterwards!



3 comments:

  1. I am utterly intrigued by this! Will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't spell tonight. :) But thank you Hillary! I hope you enjoy the recipe.

    ReplyDelete