Friday, March 16, 2012

Savory Garlic studded Pork Roast

As I write this post at the last minute, I'm reminded at the importance of taking one's time to craft something exquisite.  So while I know this blog post isn't going to be genius, the recipe I've added comes close.  But it takes some time.  With this recipe I'm reminding myself that the writing life is not a hurry-up process, that it takes time to gain skills at the craft and time to create a novel and time for readers to follow.  Time is one of those commodities we can't make more of, we are just a part of it and must learn how to use it as efficiently as we can for those things in life that we most enjoy.

And so I give you a roasted pork recipe that, although spends some serious time in the oven, is worth every minute when you enjoy it as part of your meal.
Happy Writing and EATING!**




Pork Loin with Brown Sugar and Garlic

3-4 lb pork loin roast (the one that's usually held together with cotton twine)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
5 cloves of garlic sliced into little sticks
1/2 cup of white wine

Mix the brown sugar and salt together.  You may choose to add Rosemary or other herb to the rub but I'm okay with the plain-jane version.

After rinsing off the pork loin, pat the rub all over the roast and place it in an oven safe dish. 
Preheat the oven to 450 (it won't stay there, this is just for starters)

While the oven is heating, get out a small thin knife, the smaller the better. And poke a small hole in your meat and stuff in a small sliver of garlic.  Continue this around the entire roast.  I place garlic every 1/2 inch. YUM.  It's okay if the garlic sticks out a little bit, but make sure to press it down into the meat.

When the oven reaches 450, place the roast in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, pour 1/2 cup of white wine over the roast and reduce the temperature to 325 and cook for about 1 1/4 hours. You may continue to add wine over the top of it if the roast looks dry, but I have never had to, it's up to you.

Nothing beats the taste of the garlic and the salty sweetness of the crust on the meat.

This recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, which I feel everyone should own. Genius home cooking.

 **Regarding the royalty free photo- I'm pretty sure that's beef.  For the life of me I couldn't find a photo of a pork roast.  This one just looked good with the rosemary sticking out and the fire in the background.  YUM.  I could have taken a photo of my leftover roast in the fridge, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get the same effect. ;)

1 comment:

  1. every time i read a post on here, i want to play chef and get all gourmet. i'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete