Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Meet the Contributors: T.W. Fendley

When my mother taught me to cook, it went something like this: buy mustard potato salad from the grocery deli, add chopped onions and hot chow-chow. Serve in your favorite fiesta stoneware bowl and never reveal "grandma’s secret” potato salad recipe.

So it wasn’t a big sacrifice to give up cooking when I married a foodie. Not only that, both my daughters wed guys who are also excellent cooks. One is even a professional chef who is now a stay-at-home dad (how cool is that!).

When it comes to recipes, I look to the guys for help and to Mesoamerican cuisine for inspiration. I’m interested in food the characters in my book, Zero Time, could have eaten in ancient Peru and Mexico.

Today’s recipe is one of my favorites—guacamole. It’s so simple and quick, my mom would definitely approve.

Ingredients:

2 large, ripe avocadoes

¼ cup chopped cilantro

Juice of one lime

1 tablespoon of minced Serrano chile

Salt to taste

With authentic tools like a molcajete and lime press, preparation is fun. Traditionally, you make and serve guacamole in a molcajete—a three-legged Mexican version of the mortar and pestle. The Aztecs made theirs of ceramic, but now most are made of gray volcanic rock. It will give your guac a chunkier texture than if you use a blender.

1. Slice the avocado. To remove the pit, whack it with a knife, then twist and lift.
(Note: Pretend this is a fast-action shot instead of a blurry picture. Sigh.)

2. Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon.

3. Add remaining ingredients except salt. A lime press makes juicing sooo easy.

4. Mix ingredients by pressing with a fork, but leave it chunky.

6. Add salt to taste.

7. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or try it with slices of sweet pepper, jicama or carrots.



5 comments:

  1. My husband says thank you! It's a hit with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! We love guacamole, and I'm a sucker for anything with avocado. It's the butter of the fruit/veggie world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love guac and I love how many different cultures are part of this blog group! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, yum I love guacamole and now I have a terrible craving for some!

    ReplyDelete