Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Post-Edit Diet

When I am in the middle of edits, especially if I'm under a deadline, one of the last things I worry about is healthy eating. Chocolate and goldfish crackers are my staples :D So when the edits are done and my life gravitates back toward normalcy, I try to get back on the healthy eating train. Which isn't always the funnest thing to do when I've been chowing whatever I want for the last several weeks :D

One recipe I've found that I LOVE is one for Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins. I use almond flour a lot because my son has eczema and white flour makes him break out like crazy. It costs a fortune at my local grocery store, however you can get it online fairly inexpensively. I buy mine in 5 pound bags from Nutsonline.com and my kids have no idea when I substitute it for white flour. They love the treats I make for them using it :)


Ingredients:

2 cups almond flour
3 rounded tablespoons Splenda (I use Stevia)
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions:

Butter or line 12 large muffin pans with muffin tin liners.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
In a larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (but not the berries).
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not beat).
Finally, add the berries and briefly mix again.
Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden brown and set in the middle.
Leave in the pans on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, and then loosen carefully with a knife before turning out to cool completely. Makes 12.

4 comments:

  1. These sound awesome! Although I'm wondering if you can substitute maple syrup for the stevia? or does it have to be granular?
    I love playing with flours. My current fave is Chickpea flour. Great for frying, coatings etc. But I seriously must try almond flour! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried chickpea flour. I'll have to try it out. We experiment with a lot too with my son's eczema. I really love the almond flour though; great flavor :D It's really good in banana bread.

      Delete
  2. this sounds so good. and yesterday i was just at the nursery and saw stevia and couldn't figure out what i'd seen it used for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevia is actually more powder consistency than granular - you could probably substitute syrup for it though it might change the consistency of the batter. I'm actually going to try and substitute agave nectar next time I make it.

    I really like Stevia though because it's natural, made from an actual plant, as opposed to the stuff that has the aspartame in it - I react weird to that stuff sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete