I'm sure many of you are similarly bogged down. So, in the spirit of simplifying things, I offer a light, tasty soup. It's an excellent starter course or accompaniment to a sandwich or salad.
Please note the curry powder, diva that it is, is missing from this picture.
Curried Squash-Apple Bisque
1 med. onion
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 t. yellow curry powder (or to taste)
2 lb. butternut squash
2 granny smith apples
5 c. vegetable or chicken stock
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. sea salt
- Chop onion. In 3-4 quart pot, heat oil over medium head. Saute onion and curry powder until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, peel, seed and cube squash. Peel, seed and cube one apple. Add these and stock to pot.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes or until squash is tender. Add salt.
- Working in batches (and very carefully), puree in blender.
- Peel the remaining apple. Grate and toss in bowl with lemon juice.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with grated apple.