Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quick Holiday Cookie Recipe- Bring out the Spritz!

       
Spritz cookies are a new tradition in our house.  My husband's mother made them while he was growing up and he loved them. So, I've started the tradition with our kids.   

Spritz cookies are a delicate butter cookie that look like you've spent a lot of time making them when they are actually quite easy. The kids love decorating these cookies, especially when they get to put their little fingers in the colored sugar and sprinkle on as much as they'd like!

Here is a quick recipe for Spritz cookies.  You will need to purchase a Spritz cookie press to make these cookies.  The press is inexpensive and found in department stores around the holidays.

The picture below shows the press I use, and the fact that, although made yesterday, 3 dozen spritz cookies disappear in my house!


Basic Buttery Spritz Cookie
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream the butter and sugar and egg.  Add remaining ingredients. Scrape down sides and roll dough into a log that will fit inside the tube of the cookie press.  If the dough is too soft (very sticky) you can chill it for up to 30 minutes.  However, I've found that chilling makes it hard to press the dough out of the cookie press.

Choose the disk for the shape you want and press out the cookies 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with different colored sugars or other decorator sweets.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should not brown.  Transfer to wire rack to cool and ENJOY!

By the way, these are great cookies to share with Santa on Christmas eve!  


5 comments:

  1. Oh how cool! My great grandma used to make these! I can't wait to try out the recipie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these. Haven't had them in decades!

    Thanks for the recipe...and the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma would always make Spritzes, so this is a true family tradition for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma always used to make Spritzes too... I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember a Christmas without Spritzes too... My grandma used to bake them then my mother and so on... Merry Christmas and A happy New Year too!:)

    ReplyDelete