Friday, August 12, 2011

Interview with Author Savenaz Tash


What a fabulous day! Today we are blessed with the wonderful Sarvenaz Tash. Sarvenaz is a multi-talented wonder versed in the art of screenwriting, copywriting, and the world of children’s literature. The Mapmaker and the Ghost, her middle grade novel with Walker Books for Young Readers, premiers April 24th, 2012.

This is on my buy list.
You can learn more by stopping by her blog and website:


(Our characters in this cooking plot.)
Now to the interview:

Let's say a couple of your characters are raiding your fridge right now, what are they most likely to eat? Are they disappointed or excited about what they find?
Besides being a mapmaker, my main character, Goldenrod, is also an excellent sandwich-maker. She spends a lot of time trying to find different and unusual combos. That being said, I think she would be very disappointed in my fridge right now because, besides condiments, there isn't much there she could work with. Sorry to let you down, G! (This writing thing has not done wonders for my kitchen skills/cooking time). 


Share your favorite literary feast or treat. What makes this food and/or writing so memorable?
A few months ago I discovered this recipe for Butterbeer cupcakes: http://amybites.com/?p=623 They are obviously inspired by the world of Harry Potter and, more specifically, by the Butterbeer drinks created for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Orlando. As someone who spent years wondering what Butterbeer tasted like, and finally got a very satisfying answer in Orlando, I can tell you these cupcakes are HP-nerd-approved. (They are really SO good).

Describe the best cook you know and something wonderful he or she has served you.
My mom is the best cook I know and there are so many dishes to choose from! But one of my favorites involves a stew made of plums and spinach served over steamed basmati rice. I grew up eating Persian food almost exclusively and I am just starting to learn how to make it myself with the help of my mom of course. I'm trying to collect as many recipes from her as I can since most of them are also my grandma's and they've been verbally handed down. Judging from the state of my fridge (see above), I would say I'm not exactly banging out the recipes like I'm banging out first drafts, though. Hmmm....


Too much salt can ruin an exquisite meal, and the perfect dessert tempers earlier mistakes. What ingredients can destroy a book through overuse or salvage a book despite its flaws?
I think heartfelt, three-dimensional characters can save almost any story. Whenever I'm stuck, I always go back to thinking "what would this character truly do?" Or, even better, "what could this character do that would be surprising but not, ultimately, out of character?"
Clichéd plotting is what I think most easily destroys a book for me, although, again, I think strong character work can overpower and redeem even that!

If you were marooned on an island and Pots & Pens granted your wish for only one book and one food, what would you choose?
The food part is easy: I'd say bread. The book part is painful. If I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I'd say PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. But how could I ever really only choose one book?!

Recipe:
Goldenrod's Peanut Butter and Strawberry Sandwich with Cheerios (for Extra Crunch)
- 2 pieces of toast
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 2 chopped up strawberries
- A handful of Cheerios


Toast bread, and chop strawberries.

Smear bread with peanut butter.

Add chopped strawberries and Cheerios.
Note: picture is tipsy. Sorry about that.



Top sandwich with other slice of bread.

If you are looking to put your parents in a good mood so that they'll finally let you properly explore your neighborhood, add fancy toothpicks.

Thank you so much Savenaz.

Writing prompt: The quirky recipe combo inspired me. Write a character description with traits that would embody this quirky combination.

Happy Writing!


6 comments:

  1. Great interview! And that looks delicious. I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, my kidlets will LOVE this recipe, and I can't say I'm not excited to try it as well!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Miranda and Windy! Let me know how they turn out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sandwich looks like the perfect late night snack - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks quick, easy, and yummy. Fresh strawberries with PB is a good change to sugary jam. And I liked bread for the island.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on her middle grade book! I'm going to have to give this sandwich to my three year old. He loves Cheerios and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete